What happens when you add heavy cream and butter to shallots and turnips? A creamy goodness that will have you coming back for more. I love turnips, the sweet, delicate flavor with just a hint of bite. In this dish, they are unbelievably tender, and did I say buttery? If you’re looking for a substitute to the ubiquitous potato side dish, this will not let you down.
Scalloped Turnips Recipe Makes 3-4 servings
2 turnips, sliced
2 shallots, sliced
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in 11″ x 7″ casserole dish.
- Sauté the shallots in 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Layer bottom of casserole dish with half the turnip slices followed by half the shallots. Top with 1 tablespoon of small pats of butter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of flour, black pepper, and salt.
- Repeat step 4 to create a second layer, then add heavy cream.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for an additional 20 minutes.