Blueberry muffins have always been one of my favorite breakfast foods, but like many other things, I’m particular about these, too. I don’t need anything fancy, and I think that having a streusel top is just extra calories to get between me and the blueberries. For me, there is no such thing as too many blueberries, so I cram as many into the batter as I can. In fact, it looks pretty much like blueberries just glued together. Then, I throw a few more blueberries on top after spooning the batter into the muffin cups. Every bite should be full of blueberries, and if you take this approach, it will be.
If you do like a crumble topping, you can add that on. Just mix a little softened butter with some brown sugar, and put it on top just before putting the pan into the oven.
Blueberry Muffins Recipe Makes 12 large muffins.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in large bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg in small bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and very gently combine. Having a few lumps and streaks of unmixed flour is ok.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups or muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for five minutes. Then move muffins to cooling rack and allow to cool for an additional five minutes. Serve warm.