Not all red sauces are tomato-based, and they shouldn’t be. Puréed roasted red peppers make a delightful sauce with a smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with chicken and pasta. If you really must, you could use the peppers in a jar, but I recommend roasting your own peppers, which you can even do in advance and have them ready on the night you want to make this pasta. So, if you’re looking for a great sauce that is a break from the tomato, then give this one a try. You’ll be glad you did.
Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Recipe Makes 3 servings.
2 roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
cracked black pepper
2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
1/2 pound chicken, chunked
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Put extra virgin olive oil in large skillet on stove on medium low heat. Add roasted red peppers, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper, black pepper, and salt.
- After red peppers are warm, remove from heat. Purée in food processor.
- Meanwhile, cook chicken in the same skillet to absorb flavors left behind by the red peppers. When chicken is almost done, add mushrooms. Allow mushrooms to cook down until tender.
- Once chicken and mushrooms are cooked, pour the red pepper purée back into the skillet. Add the heavy whipping cream. Stir together and allow the sauce to heat through.
- Serve over pasta. Sprinkle freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano on top.